Sunday 26 September 2021

Caught on the waters

My friend helped me with the bags. We got to their home. I showered and ate and then we went out. He had a message to deliver to his Hajiya boss at Lekki, which he would pick first at a director’s house somewhere near Taslim stadium.

The geography of our destinations traversed so much of Lagos, a great chance for me to see the town in one day.

We started the shuttle, maneuvering our ways through the overhead bridges. We picked the package and redirected the trip towards the Island.

Back to Mainland, it was the edge of Magrib prayer. My friend and I branched at a barber’s shop. My hair needed some cut. We visited some of his friends. They wanted me to see more of Lagos. What was the place I needed to see? They chose beach for me.

Lagos, Nigeria

 

We would go to the beach 3pm and return by 6. My flight was taking off 9pm. All things being equal, I could reach home 7 and be able to reach the airport within an hour drive.

I left the phone home to reserve the battery, in a way, and in another to prevent any mishap: losing the phone or it being dipped into waters. I made the journey announcement on Facebook, switched the phone off and headed out to the beach, where we dined and wined. People had started heading back to the land. Lot of sun was still visible.

We got a boat for the journey back. Shortly after, in the middle of the waters the boat hiccupped and stuttered. Hiccupped and stuttered until the engine went dead. The driver, after several attempts, had finally started the engine again but the speed was sooo terribly slow. Other boats that we set off together were on their way for second shipment.

Darkness fell on the waters. Suddenly, the engine went dead again. The driver and his assistant checked and announced they were out of fuel.

I was furious. No longer thinking about my journey as I was concerned with my safety first. I was totally enraged by the recklessness of these people. How, for goodness’s sake, would you undertake traveling over dangerous waters without enough fuel? Without plans in place that would totally avert such a circumstance?

Getting ready for the beach

 

The crew pointed to a small village and said we could get fuel there. Ten minutes before we could reach the shore. Another 20 minutes before they finally got the fuel and started the engine. The boat was still too slow compared to other engines.

We arrived at Liverpool shore and trekked to a nearby motor park in Apapa. It was 8pm when we reached home. Nura, the guy arranged to take me to the airport had been waiting for me. He fell into a fit of anger. “How would you stay there late? See,” he gestured at his wrist to indicate time, “you could have just left them there and headed back early.” He was thinking the distance to the airport.

Goni and I quickly moved inside the house. Goni said I must shower. I did and performed my Magrib and Ishaa prayers. We are still school kids in the eyes of our parents. Maman Goni packed food for me and put inside my bag.

Things were flying every which way. No time to say no time; pen, paracetamol and computer mouth, the plan to buy them was ditched off.

Nura was even madder at me I stayed longer in the house than was necessary. I was already late fa! I cooled down the heat. The journey, actually, was 11:50pm, I said. I factored unforeseen circumstances and created a plan to accommodate them.

I jumped behind the bike. In minutes we arrived the airport. I was the last passenger to check in for Delta Air. They were at the verge of closing their booth. I presented my papers, got them signed and said goodbye to my folk.

You’d notice that I had totally forgotten about the taxi driver from the airport. I switched on my phone and saw his call on WhatsApp.

 

Madison, WI

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment